I won’t have a full podcast for this week because of the Thanksgiving Holiday here in the US. I planned to share one of my favorite exercises but I forgot that I included it in the Fourth of July episode earlier this year. If you missed that, here it is again.
I like this exercise because it incorporates passing, receiving, change of direction moves, 1 v 1 moves and shooting in a competitive environment that the players really enjoy.
The first player on the left passes to the player across from them and sprints to touch the top of the six yard box. The receiving player takes their first touch toward the top of the arc, performs a change of direction move and dribbles toward goal. The attacker beats the defender with a 1 v 1 move and finishes past the goalkeeper.
The players then switch lines. Each team keeps track of how many goals they score. You can give the defender a point if they win the ball and dribble it past the top of the box.
- Quality of pass
- First touch out of the feet and toward the top of the arc
- Players must dribble with the ball under control
- When they change directions the must explode out of the move
- Be animated & sell the move!
- Check shooting form – ankle locked, toe down, non-kicking foot next to the ball, land on kicking foot
I’ll be back with a defensive training session focused on the challenges of the indoor game.